Friends of the Global Fund Africa (Friends Africa) is a pan-African organization which works to mobilize strategic political and financial support for the fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communication’s Manager, the communications intern supports the implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to raise the understanding and awareness of Friends Africa with partners, media and the public.
Writing content for the Friends Africa website
- Keeping abreast of relevant news and Friends Africa activities or programmes in the field, suggesting topics for news or feature story coverage
- Develop and write news or features for the website
- Assist with writing homepage blurbs and translations
Posting content on the Friends Africa website
- The intern will post news and feature stories, including photos and other media, on the Friends Africa website and occasional cross-posting on blogs
- Monitoring pick-up of www.friends-afirica.org news and feature content
- Research and support for media interviews and materials
- Fact-checking, analyzing, and drafting material for external communications. This includes providing support in the production of communications materials such as factsheets and press releases
- Actively expand and maintain the media contact database
- Research and add media contacts to Friends Africa database, as well as updating existing contacts, as needed
- Write project summaries for on-going Friends Africa projects according to priorities established by the management of the office.
- Develop, proofread and write fast facts documents on a list of issues identified by the management team
- Consolidate project reports from the programme areas in preparation for the achievement report 2013
- Assist with managing all online portals such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or as may be requested etc
- Other tasks as requested by the Communications Team
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience with web publishing is a plus.
- Proficiency in using new technologies and web-based platforms. Knowledge of HTML, other scripts and web design are a plus.
- Familiarity with Friends Africa health advocacy issues or international development issues.
- Self-starter; organized; team-player, able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities.
- Strong writing and editing skills, and attention to style.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with demonstrated research abilities and interest
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programme, knowledge of design programmes an advantage (e.g. Photoshop, In Design)
- Internet proficiency is required; experience with the development of statistics, charts and Web 2.0 tools (especially social networking) is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of the English Language is required
- Creative open minded team player with strong initiative and a willingness to learn
- Strong interest in development issues and in the work of Friends Africa.
- First degree in any discipline with core competencies in the afore mentioned
Contract Type: Intern/ Volunteer
Location: Friends Africa, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos, Nigeria
Interested candidates should please submit their CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org